Monday, July 12, 2010

Sweet Carrot Souffle

I was walking through a grocery store and saw 'Carrot Souffle' in the deli (pre-made) area. I realized I had never even had a souffle before. Luckily I needed to use up a lot of carrots and this was the perfect way to do it. This recipe is super easy and sooo good. I think I might make this for Halloween or Thanksgiving. I just love the bright orange color :)


Sweet Carrot Souffle

2 pounds carrots, chopped
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 Tbs coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
cinnamon (to taste)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
.

2) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

3) In a food processor, mix eggs. Then add carrots, melted butter, honey, coconut flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well and transfer to a buttered 8x8 casserole dish.

4) Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

To make 1 tsp of baking powder:
Mix 1/4 tsp. baking soda + 1 tsp lemon juice. You will see bubbling.

Optional toppings:

1 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
sprinkle of honey

Sauté chopped pecans in butter until beginning to brown. Add honey and stir to combine. Turn off heat and set aside.

and/or

Whipped Cream



5 comments:

  1. Great recipe. I wonder if this would also work with pumpkin or butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thats a great idea! I don't see why it wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this and holy cow was it ever good, I should say totally awesome! I've been SCD for a little over a year and this recipe is ranking #1 with me, I will definately be making this for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing your awesome recipe. My non-SCD husband and friend were amazed and impressed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! I think I will have to try this with pumpkin and see what happens!

    By the way I'm trying to connect up with the other SCD bloggers on the web, I couldn't find an email for you but if your interested in connecting please email me at SCDlifestyle at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! was soooo yummy! I had seconds.... and thirds:) put brown sugar on top, its makes it even better, and add a 1/2 cup os raisins!

    ReplyDelete